Nowadays, the tungsten ring is one of the most well-liked choices for people looking for a wedding band because they flaunt modern style without burning a hole in the pocket. But is it the right choice for you? This article will discuss the major pros and cons of a Tungsten Ring, which will help answer your queries.
Before getting to the pros and cons, let us first know what exactly a Tungsten Ring is. When it comes to jewellery, tungsten is considered to be the most robust metal alloy. Therefore, elements like nickel, cobalt, tungsten and carbon are present in tungsten jewellery. However, there’s never pure tungsten present in jewellery because it is very toxic in nature.
Pros of a Tungsten Ring
- Scratch-resistant – As it is a very hard metal and has a top rank when it comes to Mohs scale of hardness, it is extremely durable and scratch-resistant. Moreover, it is the only metal that ranks higher compared to diamond.
- Hypoallergenic – Some people have allergies due to wearing rings, and it is very difficult for them to find a ring that will not have any allergic reaction. That’s where tungsten comes into play as it is fully hypoallergenic, which means it will not only cause any allergy but also will not oxidize with time. If you also have a metal allergy, then you can get yourself a tungsten ring by Intellirings made without nickel as it will be the best for you.
- Affordable – It is one of the selling-point of tungsten as it is way more affordable if compared to diamond or gold. This is the reason why it is gaining a lot of attention in the wedding industry.
- Lustre – Naturally, tungsten has a really gorgeous grey colour and looks even better after polishing it. Also, it tends to hold its colour for a very long period.
- Sturdy – It is the best for daily wear because it will never bend out as it is one of the most durable metals and tends to stay in shape due to its sturdy character.
- Hefty – It has a similar heft to it that we get in platinum and gold, making it feel premium.
Cons of a Tungsten Ring
- Resizing – As discussed earlier, it is a very hard metal. Hence, it can not be resized according to your desire. If you want to resize it, you have to make a prior agreement with your jeweller to give a free size exchange.
- Can get cracked – Even if it is very durable and robust, it can get cracked if it comes across enough force, and that force has to be very extreme. Otherwise, it will stay as it is for a long period.
- Trading – It can not be easily traded, unlike gold. If you are planning to sell it, then you will find it difficult to get it valued.
A Tungsten Ring can be a great option for you if you are looking for a wedding ring that not only fits your budget but also offers a modern look. However, with the pros mentioned above and cons, we hope you are now clear whether you should consider tungsten over gold or diamond.